The goal of this day was to get DH to Delaware, to check off his 47th state.
We were only going 180 miles for the day, so we didn’t need to get an early start. Which worked out great, because the sunrise view from our hotel room was beautiful! And I wanted to walk down the boardwalk to see King Neptune. Our hotel was located around the mid-point of the Boardwalk, so it was about a half mile down to where King Neptune greets you, so this made a good start to the day’s activities.
We don’t usually plan things to do in the mornings before leaving a hotel, so this was a bit different for me. I have a recurring dream where we’re so late getting our stuff together to check out and it makes me anxious! I guess that’s why no matter how much I spread stuff out in the hotel room, it’s all packed up the night before we leave.
But in this case, it was worth taking the extra time to walk
on the boardwalk and just enjoy the cooler (but still humid) weather and early
sunshine before getting in the car for the day.
Our route took us across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It cost $16.00 and we were able
to use our SunPass transponder to pay. When
we reached the other side, I thought we would be in Maryland, but that was
still 70 miles away. We stopped at the
Eastern Shore of Virginia Welcome Center, and the lady there gave us some
suggestions of things to do along the way before we got to Maryland.
One of the suggestions was to visit the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge and Assateague Island National Seashore. It’s about 12 miles off the main
highway. There’s a small town just
before you get to the Refuge and it seems like it gets a lot of tourists. We went to the Visitor’s Center where we
talked with a ranger who gave us some suggestions of what to see and do while
we were there. I also got stamps added to my National Park Passport that my coworkers gave me when I retired in 2024.
One of the things that Chincoteague NWR is known for is the
ponies who run free on the island. Not
quite the same as those on Cumberland Island in Georgia, but similar. The NWR is split between Virginia and
Maryland and how they handle the horses also varies. The horses on the Virginia side “belong” to
the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Department.
They are gathered and ridden and their colts are often auctioned as a
fundraiser. The ones on the Maryland
side are managed by the National Park Service and are treated as wildlife – so
basically “live and let live” for the horses.
As we drove to see the Assateague Island National Seashore, we went past
the marshland where the ponies hang out and were able to see a few.
As for the seashore itself, it wasn’t anything to write home
about. In fact, I said to DH that I know
we’re spoiled with the gulf shores beaches near where we are. But compared to Virginia Beach, I liked it
better as a beach.
We also stopped to hike the quarter-mile trail to see the Assateague Island Lighthouse. It wasn’t open for touring, but there was a staff person there who had the door opened and allowed us to take a look inside.
On the way to the wildlife refuge, we passed the NASA Wallops Flight Facility Visitor Center, so we stopped on the way back to see
what was there. While they don’t launch
the biggest rockets like those that go from Cape Canaveral, they’ve launched
over 16,000 rockets, and they have a viewing area where you can watch
them. They do educational programs,
too. While we were there, they were
doing a program about the Nancy Grace Roman telescope that was launched on August
30th.
By now it was getting later in the afternoon and we still
had a few things to do. One of those was
to have lunch (which became an after 3 PM lunch) at the Lobster Shanty on
Fenwick Island. This restaurant is owned
by my dad’s second cousin’s family, and their son (my 3rd cousin)
works there and at another restaurant they own.
I’ve never met these folks, and I only know about them from my genealogy
work, but I thought maybe he might be interested in learning more about his
grandmother’s family. If we had gotten
to the Lobster Shanty earlier, he would have been there for us to meet, but he
had already left. The lady at the
check-in stand, however, told me that he’d gone over to the other restaurant
that opened at 4 PM. It was only 5
minutes away and was on our route to the hotel for the night, so after a
delicious meal, we headed over to see if I could introduce myself.
It was really nice to see my genealogy work paying off in
connecting with a family member(s) that didn’t know much at all about a branch
of their family history. While I don’t
know if he’ll be interested enough to contact me, he seemed genuinely pleased to
meet a distant cousin. I left him with
information going back several generations from our common great-grandparents
(and earlier).
We had planned to visit one of Delaware’s state parks but
our detour earlier in the day used up that time – and it was fine because that’s
what this trip is about – stopping to see things along the way and adjusting if
we need to. We were both pretty tired
and knew the next day was an early start.
Up next: DH adds his
48th state.
~ Cindy D.
No comments:
Post a Comment